One of the biggest challenges faced by the old video games is getting them to work on modern computers. Where, books, movies and other files which can be updated easily to support the present version of your PC, but games are very difficult to update. It does not means that older, nicer and nostalgic video games which we enjoyed during our childhood days are extinct forever. There are still many ways to get our Windows XP games on Windows 10. We can use compatibility modes in operating systems and emulators to make this possible.
So, options like ‘run as administrator’ and ‘troubleshoot compatibility’ are still present in the last little iteration of Windows and Windows 10. When you right click on the game-icon, then you will find an option called Properties at the very bottom. On clicking that option, a pop-up box will open up. Then find the compatibility tab, check and un-gray the drop down menu. Then you will find the list of windows versions from there select the version in which you have to run the game.
Once selecting, Windows should automatically detect how old the game is. Apart from these, these are certain other methods to run Windows XP games on Windows 10. In this article, we will see them clearly.
Detailed to Play Windows XP games on Windows 10
Run as Administrator
The simplest form that one can try is running as an administrator. Try running the Windows XP game as an administrator and see whether it works or not. But it is not same for Windows 10, first of all you have to simply Right Click the executable files, in the Windows XP game. Then hit the Run as Administrator . A windows prompt will provide you with the on-screen instructions that you have to follow.
Use the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
By following the below mentioned steps, you can let the windows 10 decide the best compatibility settings to run the game file.
- In the Cortana Search Box, type Run Programs and automatically Run Programs for previous Versions of Windows will appear. The Program Compatibility Troubleshooter should be enabled.
- Then select the Advanced option -> Run as Administrator option -> and finally click on Next.
- Select troubleshooting option window and then select the Try Recommended Settings
- Now Windows 10 will find the best settings needed for Windows XP game to operate smoothly. Then select the test the program option to see if the application runs properly or not.
Then Yes, save these settings for this program, it indicates the end of the troubleshooting process.
If the troubleshooting fails, then you have to select No, try again using different settings. Then it will take you to other option. Then you have to select an option and then Click Next and do as instruction says.
Running Windows XP game in compatibility mode
Windows 10 comes with an option of running outdated programs where you can manually change the compatibility settings.
- Enter the Application Name in the search box
- It will show up the results, there right click on the application name and then select the Open file location.
- Then in the file location, you can see the list of files that runs the game. Then Right click on the .exe file and then select the option that shows properties.
- Choose the Compatibility tab and then select the Properties windows.
- Run this program in the compatibility mode.
- In the drop-down menu select the Window XP.
- In the Setting section, there are many other options which make the program run effectively.
- Finally, select Apply -> and then OK.
It is a zone present in your computer to run the programs meant for windows XP. But in order to create a virtual Machine, you will need a valid Windows XP license. To avail this, you have to install the Virtual Box or VM ware Player on the same PC. And then you have to download the on-screen instructions and enter the XP license when prompted.
Here you can test and try the Windows XP games on Windows 10 for which you have been doing all these steps.
Well, in this article we have seen few ways to run Windows XP games on Windows 10. For gamers and nostalgic people who love the never fading games from olden days, I hope this content might have helped you. By using these instructions you can succeed in playing the Windows XP games on Windows 10 without any issues.
You may also like our content in fixing the Netflix Site Error, click here to read.